On JANUARY 1, 1802, the people of Cheshire, Massachusetts, delivered a giant block of cheese weighing 1,235 lbs to President Thomas Jefferson, being presented by the famous Baptist preacher, John Leland.
- mandatory membership;
- mandatory taxes to support it; and
- no one could hold public office unless they were a member.
- faithful Anglican prior to the Revolution, as one could not even hold office in colonial Virginia unless one took the Oath of Supremacy;
- friend of the dissenters during the Revolution, championing the cause of Baptists and other non-conformists;
- friend of deists after his wife died prior to the French Revolution, corresponding with Dr. Joseph Priestly;
- liberal Episcopalian during his term as President, having his administration support Christian missionaries among the Indians and espousing the superior ethics of Jesus.