"God is behind everything, but everything hides God," wrote Victor Hugo in his classic Les Miserables, Book 5, Chapter 4.
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame, 1831;
- Cromwell, 1827; and
- Les Miserables, 1862, an epic story of redemption set in Paris after the French Revolution.
- Sigismund, King of Hungary fought the Ottoman Turks, 1387-1437, forming the Order of St. George the Dragon-Slayer, or Order of the Dragon, with the dragon being the Muslim Ottoman Sultan.
- Prince Fruzhin fought the Turks in Bulgaria, 1406-1444;
- King Wladyslaw III fought the Turks in Poland, 1434-1444.
- John Hunyadi fought the Turks in Hungary, 1438-1456.
- George Kastrioti "Skanderbeg" fought the Turks in Albania, Venice, and Naples, 1444-1479.
- Stephen the Great, "Athleta Christi," fought the Turks in Moldovia, 1457-1504.