- first, stay in politics, at a time when conventional wisdom held that politics was too dirty a business for Christians;
- second, work for the abolition of the slave trade in Britain; and,
- third, work for moral reformation in society."
Jefferson signed the law and it went into effect, January 1, 1808.
- "Although my memory's fading, I remember two things very clearly: I am a great sinner and Christ is a great Savior.”
- “This is faith: a renouncing of everything we are apt to call our own and relying wholly upon the blood, righteousness and intercession of Jesus.”
- “If you once love Him, you will study to please Him.”
- “Whoever is truly humbled — will not be easily angry, nor harsh or critical of others. He will be compassionate and tender to the infirmities of his fellow-sinners, knowing that if there is a difference — it is grace alone which has made it! He knows that he has the seeds of every evil in his own heart. And under all trials and afflictions — he will look to the hand of the Lord, and lay his mouth in the dust, acknowledging that he suffers much less than his iniquities have deserved.”